Tuesday, February 3, 2009

GRACE
Many years ago, if someone had said that I might have a deep, abiding relationship with a particular tree, I probably would have responded, "Uh, pleeeeez, don't go all woo-woo on me!" That was before I allowed myself to let the influence of the natural world seep into my pores, and soothe my soul.
So... meet Grace.

I really don't know when I was introduced to her, but it happened one day with camera in hand and a shift in my consciousness. I was drawn by a tug, as subtle as an empty fishing line drifting in a stream, to a spot on the trail that found me facing Grace. I was suddenly draped in an aura of serenity, so liquidy warm and embracing. Mesmerized by her beauty, the soft light illuminating the aged character chiseled in her trunk, arching branches reaching far beyond her center, I wondered how I had missed her before that moment. Grace is so symbolic to me. A reminder that all of us need to find a tether to the earth that fuels a passion to protect this planet that is truly in peril. My walk is not complete without thanks to Grace for reminding me to take pause to appreciate the profound gifts of life and love.


Speaking of the periled earth, I can recommend an excellent book that illustrates the environmental strains around the globe and the kinds of policies, structural and behavioral changes that must be implemented in order to stop the carnage. The book is "Hot, Flat, and Crowded," by Thomas Friedman. This is not extremist, irrational rhetoric, it is factual, and deeply concerning. We have to let the information penetrate if we are to leave a habitable world to our children. I think we sometimes tune out the environmental impact of gross over-consumersim and careless disposal of "things" because it means, if we know, we must act. And, that requires commitment and sacrifice that can feel daunting to busy individuals and families. But, if each of us commits to doing something, regardless of how small, we are making a difference. Already, most of us are doing something like recylcing, composting, driving hybrids or fuel efficient cars, paying attention to purchases with wasteful packaging, avoiding the use of chemical cleaners, pesticides, poisons, and fertilizers, buying organic, conserving water, electricity, gas etc... So, if we just add one more lifestyle change that we can feasibly incorporate into our lives, Hooray for us!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment