Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A New Day

Warren, his younger brother,
Rodger, and their parents
Today, as I was walking, with Cayenne running ahead, I was steeped in thought about President Elect Barack Obama. January 20th has been etched in my mind as a set aside day since the night many of us rejoiced as we watched the screen light up with Obama's image and heard the words, "Our next President of the United States, Barack Obama." My heart still somersaults when I think of that moment. And, for weeks afterward, Warren, my brother and sister-in-law, and I would incredulously reflect, "We have a BLACK president!" Oh, Hallelujah and Amen!!! I won't belabor the obvious points about what a commanding and grand leader he is, and will continue to be, but naturally, his outstanding capabilities were at the core of the fire that ignited American voters. He is a fresh, invigorating voice and this begins a new day for America, even with the ominous issues that face our nation and the world. As I look at the beautiful photograph of the Tuskegee Airmen, gifted to us by Warren's brother, I wonder what they might think about this pivotal transition in American politics. Warren's uncle was an an aircraft mechanic for the first Black military airmen during WWII, making him a participant in a significant milestone for racial equality in this country. It was a long, hard struggle against racism and bigotry, which finally resulted in the recognition and validation that was so well deserved. Warren, my parents, and I, were honored to meet met several of these humble, gracious men at a March Air force showing several years ago. It was so moving to see the heroism of the Tuskegee Airmen indelibly documented for all Americans to behold.

I wish Warren's parents, and many of his aunts and uncles, were alive to witness how far we have come since they raised their children who were sometimes chased out of neighborhoods on their bicycles because "they didn't belong there." And, goodness knows, there are stories to tell even in today's times that make me quake with anger, but for now, I want to revel in magnificence of having a Black man sitting in the highest office in the United States of America. I can hear our feisty Aunt Sammie saying, "You say a Black man is going to be President...well, now, isn't that somethin'...umm, umm, umm," and following up with, "You know, when I was little girl...."

No comments:

Post a Comment